The Barons played between 1933 and 1980 in different American leagues. The team won 11 titles during this time, including while playing in the American Basketball League and the Continental Basketball Association. The team was owned and coached by Eddie White, Sr. They played in the Kingston Armory, as well as Kings College and Coughlin High School, in their latter years.
The franchise was one of six original teams in the EPBL, and won the 1946-1947 President's Cup playoffs that season before moving to the American Basketball League. In 1955, the Barons returned to the Eastern League, and won seven more championships between 1955 and 1978. The aftereffects of Hurricane Agnes forced the Barons to fold midway through the 1973-74 season; the team returned to action for the 1975-76 season. For the 1979-80 season they were rebranded as the Pennsylvania Barons; this would be the team's last year in Wilkes-Barre.