The stadium consisted of an uncovered one-level grandstand, stretching from foul pole to foul pole, with small bleacher stands in right and left field. One baseball annual published just before the 1962 season referred to it as "a barn-like thing." It is best remembered for the horribly hot and humid weather (and attendant mosquito population) that had necessitated building the first domed stadium. The field was conventionally aligned northeast (home to center field) at an elevation of 50 feet (15 m) above sea level.

Temporary from the outset, the stadium was abandoned when the Astrodome was completed for the 1965 season. The Astros occasionally used it for running and exercising to acclimatize players to warm weather before a road trip. However, the players had to be careful, as rattlesnakes would often take up residence on the field. Monsanto engineers also used it as a testing ground for its synthetic ChemGrass, later known as AstroTurf, inviting cars and horses to ride on the synthetic surface to gauge its durability. It sat abandoned for ten years, accumulating random odds and ends from nearby Astroworld and weathering in the blistering Texas sun.

The right field corner of the stadium was located in what is now the northwest corner of NRG Center. Much of the northern half of the stadium (center field, left field and the third base stands) is occupied by a power station, and home plate was approximately located where a light pole in the adjacent parking lot is.


F i l t e r   &   S o r t 
New York Mets at Colt Stadium. The starting pitchers were Roger Craig for the Mets and Turk Farrell for the Colt .45s. At this point in the season, both teams were struggling, with the Mets in their inaugural season and the Colt .45s in their first year as well. The 1962 season was marked by the expansion of the league, with both the Mets and the Colt .45s being new additions. However, the Mets were infamous for their poor performance, finishing the season with a record of 40-120, the worst in modern MLB history. The Colt .45s, on the other hand, were faring slightly better, but still below .500. The game began with a scoreless first inning, but the Colt .45s managed to score a run in the second inning, thanks to Bob Aspromonte's single and Bob Lillis's double. The Mets, however, came back strong in the third inning, scoring four runs on a walk by Elio Chacon and singles by Charlie Neal and Marv Throneberry. The Colt .45s responded with a run in the bottom of the third, narrowing the Mets' lead. The game then entered a period of relative quiet, with the Mets unable to score until the eighth inning and the Colt .45s adding a run in the sixth and seventh innings. The back and forth continued into the eighth inning, with the Mets adding a run to their tally, but the Colt .45s responded with a run of their own, tying the game at 5-5. After a scoreless ninth inning, the game moved into extra innings. In the bottom of the tenth, the Colt .45s managed to score the winning run, ending the game with a 6-5 victory. The game was a microcosm of the 1962 season for both teams. The Mets, despite showing flashes of potential, were unable to maintain their early lead, a pattern that was seen throughout their season. The Colt .45s, meanwhile, demonstrated their ability to fight back and secure a win, a trait that helped them finish the season with a more respectable record than the Mets. Despite the struggles of both teams, the 1962 season was a significant one for Major League Baseball, marking the beginning of expansion that would continue over the next few decades.