In 1894 the ballpark went through some major changes. The owner of the Reds, John Brush, would build a brand new grandstand and add an amphitheater. In order to build a new grandstand he had the diamond shifted from the southeast corner (Findlay and Western) to the southwest corner (Findlay and McLean). Brush chose to retain the old seating as a right field pavilion. This would prove to be a wise decision.
The name of the ballpark was not changed. Because of the relocated diamond, some historians refer to it as League Park II. The center field area was painted black in 1895 to form a batter's eye screen. Some sources (such as Benson) claim this was the first such screen in baseball.
On May 28 1900, the ballpark caught on fire, burning the 1894 grandstand. The Reds considered moving to East End Park where the short-lived "Kelly's Killers" Association club had played in 1891. Instead, they opted to shift the diamond back to its original location in the southeast corner, reusing the original grandstand, which was not significantly harmed in the fire due to a gap between the two seating areas. They played a month's worth of games on the road, returning to their reconfigured home on June 28.