Metropolitan Park is a former baseball ground located in East Harlem, Manhattan, New York. The ground was the part-time home to the New York Metropolitans of the American Association in 1884.
The wooden ballpark was built a few blocks east and south from their first home, the original Polo Grounds, on a piece of land bounded by 109th Street (north), the East River (east), 107th Street (south), and First Avenue (west). The park had been built on a former dumping ground, a fact which contributed to its quick demise.
The Mets played their first game at Metropolitan Park on May 13, 1884, amid a degree of publicity. However, the park proved unsatisfactory, and was soon labeled "The Dump" by players and other observers (especially sports reporters working for the Brooklyn Eagle). The Mets returned to the Polo Grounds for games starting on July 17, 1884, except when the New York Giants were playing at home. The final Mets game played at Metropolitan Park was on August 23, 1884. The Mets then returned to their original Polo Grounds venue, in time to win the American Association pennant.
The park continued to be used for occasional amateur baseball and football for a year or two after the Mets abandoned it. The block is now occupied by a complex of residential, commercial and school buildings.