The ballpark was built in 1887. It was constructed by Phillies owners Al Reach and John Rogers. The ballpark cost $80,000 and had a capacity of 12,500. At that time the media praised it as state of the art. In the dead-ball era, the outfield was enclosed by a relatively low wall all around. Centerfield was fairly close, with the railroad tracks running behind it. Later, the tracks were lowered and the field was extended over them. Bleachers were built in leftfield, and various extensions were added to the originally low right field wall, resulting in the famous 60-foot (18 m) fence.