Also known as the “Wilmington Ball Grounds”, located on the southwest corner of Front and Union Streets, a semi-rural area on the southern edge of town.
Contracts for construction were awarded in early February to Robert F. Engler, general contractor, and Earl E. Downing, who was responsible for readying the diamond. Work on the facility began shortly thereafter. Inclement weather often hampered construction, but additional workers were added as needed in order to finish by the May 1 opener at a cost of $185,000. Built of concrete, steel, and wood, the structure seated 4,454 in the covered grandstand, 546 in the boxes, and 1,850 in the bleachers. Another 4,500 could be seated outside the grandstand. The facility also featured fireproof dressing rooms built of concrete beneath the grandstand, and an office, umpires’ room, press room, electrical control room, and press box. One of the nation’s most spacious playing fields, it was 355 feet down the left field line, 420 to dead center, and 370 to right. Home plate was relocated in 1944, but it didn’t help hitters much. According to author Elbert Chance, “In ten seasons and more than 700 games, only four Interstate League players had cleared the right field wall.”2 The park’s lighting system underwent a major upgrade in 1946 when illumination was increased to 400,000 watts.