The Reading baseball team was owned by the triple-threat William Abott Witmann, and manged by Leo Groom. Witmann was not just the owner of Reading, but the owner of all the United States Baseball League and he was owner of Reading, PA. They called the Fairgrounds of Reading, PA their home. On May 1, opening day, Reading took the field in blue-gray uniforms bearing a white R on the sleeves. They fought to a 10-10 tie with New York. The next day, they won 6-2, and again on the 3rd. They abandoned the league on May 30, and court papers were filed June 1 when Reading was near bankruptcy. When the league folded, Reading stood at 12-9, 3rd in the standings. Witmann and the league didn't want to go down. In 1913, with 6 new teams formed, Witmann ordered the construction of 7,000 seat "Lauer's Park". They were still missing one thing that they would never get- a team to play in it.