The new site for Polo Grounds III was overlooked to the north and west by a steep promontory known as Coogan’s Bluff. Because of its elevation, fans frequently watched games from the Bluff without buying tickets. The ballpark itself was in bottomland known as Coogan’s Hollow. Known as Brotherhood Park when it opened in 1890, Polo Grounds III was the home of a second New York Giants franchise in the Players’ League. The latter was a creation of Major League Baseball’s first union, the Brotherhood of Professional Base-Ball Players. After failing to win concessions from National League owners, the Brotherhood founded its own league in 1890. The Players’ League Giants built Brotherhood Park in the northern half of Coogan’s Hollow, next door to Polo Grounds II, otherwise bounded by rail yards and the bluff. Brotherhood Park hosted its first game on April 19, 1890, the same day the National League’s Giants played their first home game of the season.