The 1968–69 NBA season was the 23rd season of the National Basketball Association. The season ended with the Boston Celtics winning the NBA Championship, beating the Los Angeles Lakers 4 games to 3 in the NBA Finals.
* The Phoenix Suns and the Milwaukee Bucks begin play as the league expands to 14 teams.
* The Hawks relocate from St. Louis to Atlanta.
* The 1969 NBA All-Star Game was played at the Baltimore Civic Center in Baltimore, Maryland, with the East beating the West 123–112. Oscar Robertson of the Cincinnati Royals wins the game's MVP award.
* The NBA Finals MVP Award is established and won by Jerry West of the Los Angeles Lakers, despite his team losing in seven games to the Boston Celtics.
* The NBA All-Defensive Team is named for the first time and becomes part of the NBA's regular season awards.